Engine repair and replacement are large expenses. To increase the life of your engine, you’ll want to make sure you get your car’s oil and oil filter changed on a regular basis.
During the normal use of a vehicle, dirt builds up and can cause corrosion in the engine. Regular oil and filter changes help to remove the sludge and particles that have built up.
Unfortunately, many people don’t know basic car care information, which includes not knowing if their car needs an oil change or not. Learn the signs that you need to get your oil changed below.
9 Signs Your Car Needs an Oil Change
If you identify any of the following signs, you should schedule a service appointment to get your oil checked:
- Check engine light or oil change light comes on. These warning lights will pop up on the dashboard.
- Engine noise increases while driving, especially ticking, tapping, knocking or rumbling sounds.
- When you check the oil, it looks dark and dirty.
- You can smell the scent of oil burning in the car.
- You see smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.
- Your gas mileage increases.
- Your car stalls.
- You have difficulty starting the engine.
- The car hesitates when shifting gears.
When to Get Oil Checked
Even if your vehicle isn’t showing any signs it needs an oil change, it’s recommended that you get your oil checked — and likely changed — every 3,000 miles or 3 months. However, this timeline can vary by car make and model, how frequently it’s driven, and overall driving habits.
Don’t Wait to Book an Oil Change Service Appointment
You don’t want to take any risks when it comes to the health and functionality of your vehicle. We recommend choosing a trusted, local auto service center for your car maintenance needs.
The Copple Chevrolet GMC service center offers expert service from a team of skilled technicians. It’s the perfect choice for people living in Omaha, Lincoln, and Bellevue, NE. And don’t miss out on our service coupons, which ensure you get the best deal on these high quality services.